Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Butterflyblue

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
It's so hard to tell from people's posts, but I get the gist that there are some quilters who want to give a handmade gift becasue they love to quilt, and others who make a quilt becasue they want every person at the shower to gush over it. If you (and I don't mean everyone here!) want to give a handmade quilt, then GIVE it, and know that you have done what you WANTED to do. If you want to give a handmade gift just to RECIEVE the amount of appreciation and accolates you think are due you, then give a gift card.
I make quilts as gifts for three reasons: I like to quilt, I like to give gifts that are appreciated, and yes, I like it when my work is admired. If I don't feel the gift of a quilt will be appreciated, and that a gift card or a shower curtain would be more appropriate/appreciated, I give that. Because no matter how much I like to make things, I know that when I give a gift, it is not for me but for the recipient. However, I'd be lying if I said I get as much enjoyment out of that, because I really do love it when my work is admired. It's not the reason I make things or give them, but it's a nice perk. I was really disappointed when I couldn't finish my sister's baby quilt in time to give it at her shower, because while I still finished it and gave it to her, and I'm happy that she really liked it and used it, I missed out on a great audience for the quilt I worked hard on. It's a fleeting reward, and not a make-or-break thing, though. I give quilted gifts even if I know I won't be there to see the reaction.