View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Becka

It is tradition among the Lakota (and other People) to spend the year after the death of a loved one to make gifts for those who played a special part in dealing with the death of that loved one. Traditionally, a year after the death, the family holds a feast to memorialize the loved one and present the gifts. C'ton Numpa (Two Hawks) has been invaluable to me in dealing with the death of my mother in December. Since star quilts are such an integral part of the Lakota culture, I chose to make him a star quilt. This is my progress so far. Actually, I have it sandwiched and have started the quilting, but will post that when it is complete. I'm only posting this now, as an incomplete work, because I've reached that hump where it's hard to keep at it, and posting progress will prompt me to stick with it. :roll:

I've also included a picture of C'ton's family (you can't see him) during the Honor Dance, when his grand-daughter was presented her quilt upon graduation from high school. (you can see her).

Thanks for being here and taking the moment to look :D

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243157[/ATTACH]

Back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243158[/ATTACH]

Honor Dance
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243159[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-243151.jpe   attachment-243152.jpe   attachment-243153.jpe