View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by feffertim
I see so many posts here where people post pictures of beautiful quilts and then say 'it's not perfect'. I feel people are too hard on themselves, if it was perfect it would not look handmade. If you want a perfect quilt, buy one at Walmart that is made in China. If your quilt is as beautiful as is looks in the picture, then it is perfect in my book. Give yourself the credit you deserve.
To quote Thomas Keller: "Its not about perfection, its about the quest for perfection. That's the motivating thing. Because you realize once you think it's perfect, it's no longer perfect. It can't be. I think it's perfect and therefore its not."

I think people are too critical of themselves sometimes. But I've seen a couple professional quilters with very specific techniques that they truely believe is the only way to get a good looking quilt...and they come up as a bit snooty and a real know-it-all and act like the rest of us have no clue what we're doing. I'd much rather have the humble quilter who does notice the imperfections in an otherwise great looking quilt than the overly perfectionist quilter who thinks they can't make mistakes.