View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
COYOTEMAGIC

Other than being really needy, needing some basic training, she doesn't seem to have any issues. My biggest concern was my cats. We attempted to adopt another puppy before we got Icee that nearly killed 2 of my cats in the first day. Chey has been really good.

Heelers need a "job". Just something to do to keep them physically and mentally simulated. Working stock they have to be on their toes and thinking or a cow could kill they with a single kick. Krazy Katie as we call her when she is not in her Service Dog vest is working on learning what things I am allergic to and the signs of anaphylatic shock. She has already had one solid alert, works an er like a pro and has all the nurses at my oncologist office on heel, lol. When she gets home, she is just one wild little girl that loves to play in her pool, chase the chickens along the fence, shake the dickens out of the rope toys on the spring pole and wrestle with Icee. I have a section fenced off yard for them that is 40 ft by 80ft (6ft fences because Katie has a 30 inch vertical leap from a sit) tractor tires stacked up, platforms for jumping on and off, and under, I've got to get the tunnels from an old McDonalds slide put together.

When it gets too hot, we were in the upper 90's for a couple weeks, they play in the house as you can see by the picture in my avatar!! Jumping on my bed!!

Thing is, if they don't have something to do, they will find something of their own to do, and it just may be distructive. That's why a lot of these dogs end up at the pound. People don't realize what they really need. They aren't for people who are gonna sit around.

Someone also said "velcro" dog. They are very loyal to their owner. This is not a dog if you get tired of it you can just pass off to someone else. They have a tendency to find their way back home to the one who had cared for them for so long, miles and miles away from where they were moved to.

I've had hounds, German Shepherds, Labs, mutts but after having Heelers, I won't have another type of dog.