Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarieM
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I saw at a local thrift store a Necchi Alco sewing machine. It looked a little lonely, but I wanted to get some input on the machine before considering buying it. The machine seemed clean, the cabinet was in so-so condition. Usually at this particular store, they test appliances before putting them on the floor, so I think it runs. No plate to cover the bobbin area. No bobbin. No manual. It does have the cord & pedal. There is some kind of double plug-in on the pedal cord. Anyone know why that might be? (Sorry, no pictures.)
Quilt Mom, I have a Necchi Alco 400 that I picked up at a local consignment shop. I love the power it has. After sewing on my 4 year old machine and then on the Necchi I couldn't believe how smooth the Necchi runs (like driving a luxury car). I haven't found any instructions and Allyn Distributors were no help (apparently, no one kept any information on the old machines). I did find a local Necchi repair shop in Belgrade, MT and they had the bobbins and I also purchased a new plastic case for it (mine did not come in a cabinet). As for the plugs, I'm not sure why it is designed the way it is, but it works and I guess if you electrical issues you can repair one section of wiring and not have to do the entire thing...but that's just an assumption.

I love this machine for piecing. I've also used it for repairing a canvas boat cover, a tent and hemming blue jeans, it worked great. I'll be interested to see what responses you find. I've also joined a Necchi group on Yahoo, but didn't find much help with the "newer" Japan made Necchi.
If you can't get the throat plate you'll have a tough time using that machine. I searched images and found manuals. I had a couple old Necchi machines - I liked one and hated the other - don't know what models they were - DD swiped one and took it to one of her friends needed a machine - don't know what I did with the other - it ain't around. We hated the one because we couldn't see the needle without straining our necks - the needle set too far back.

Is it like: http://cgi.ebay.com/Necchi-Alco-Sewi...item2a131ca03d
That one is high shank feet