View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Gerbie

I can't say I have had my sewing scissors used by DH my DD or DS. Let's say not to my knowledge that is. They were all taught early including DH 41 years ago this Mon.that my sewing tools are definitely off limits to all, unless they are going to sew or cut fab.. Even then they would always ask or ask me to cut it. That I knew would not be happening. I always tried to keep them put up expecially when the children were young.All three just knew you don't ever mess with mom's scissors. A good example when my DS was in HS and had a friend over, I had been sewing at the kitchen table, and had my scissors there naturally, of course the boys were in the kitchen also, and the friend just for no particular reason, picked up my sewing scissors and just started to cut some paper that was nearby when my DS almost gave him a heart attack when he yelled "Don't you dare use those scissors to cut paper!! those are mom's sewing scissors, and she will kill you". (The friend's mother didn't sew). DS had to explain to him what they were only to be used for, and paper was definitely not to be cut. My family just doesn't use mine.
Being a retired school teacher, I have always kept enough pairs of scissors around to be used for anything else.
Same goes for my sewing machines always off limits.They are not toys that one can fiddle with all the knobs as my DH's nephew did to his mother's and tried with mine once, and I really made his late mother angry when I jumped all over his case about it.

DD is also a hair dresser, and when she purchased a pair of scissors with her own money the first time and paid close to $400. or so... gasp, she truly understands.