View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 05:13 AM
hobbykat1955

OK..I got the same bug...here's my advise after buying 4 vintage machines in 4 wks...One at a school tag sale 1951 301 Singer for 30.00 took it for repair and cost 218...well worth it because it's a great machine.
second- on ebay vintage singer "Redeye" because it was pretty like you are stating...great graphics mint etc...for 54.00...it was in great working condition and just had to find bobbins for it which I was told took classic 66 found at Joann's. Does only a straight stitch since it's a 1910. But a nice straight stitch
third-a 1952 Elna Grasshopper on Esty for 85.00...just was cute but ended up having no use for it and reselling it on ebay for more then I pd.
Fourth-found a 1954 301A Singer on Craig's list in cabinet in mint condition...Love that machine...wouldn't give it up for anything.

What you need to remember is the older Singers just need a good greasing and oil once in awhile...you can mantain on your own...
Make sure if it's an older Singer that it has a "bobbin case"...my 301 from the tag sale did not and it cost me 69.00 for one...It also did not have the original wires and foot peddle which cost another 89.00...The oil and grease was cheap.
The two 301's drop ther feed dogs so you can do Free Motion.
You might want to consider that...the 1910 Singer does not.

If you want to do various stitches most of the older machines do not do this unless you find vintage feet for them which you might find on ebay.

So main pt is do you want to use the machine or just look at the machine. Pretty is nice but they gather dust...i.e. my 1910 though once in a blue moom I try to give her attention and stitch (piece) with her.

But the 301's get used all the time...no decals or pretty flowers but boy do they purrrr and make great stitches...I have the extra feet for them..i.e. zigzagger, buttonholder etc...

I like their look because it reminds me of art decor...the lines...So hope this helps in your thinking and buying.