Thread: I found....
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Quilt Mom

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
.....a poor, abused and unloved machine yesterday. The sad thing is I cannot even speak its language! It is a Haid & Neu treadle in a cabinet/table. I paid $15 to rescue it.

The manual is, of course, all in German. I cannot tell how old it is, I am thinking maybe the 50's?

It has the bobbin case and even the leather belt and wheel. I am hoping we can get her fixed up and usable again.

She belonged to someone's "ex" M-I-L and was brought over in 1966 when she died. She had been stored none to carefully or gently in a garage (or perhaps an outside shed).

The cabinet/table is oak and seems to be original to the machine. It, too, needs some TLC.

Anyone familiar with this brand, Haid & Neu? (I did read it was taken over by Singer in 1958) Any advice on refurbishing it?

These photos were taken at the time of rescue!

Thanks,

Patches
This looks exactly like one in a shop in Omaha. I have been looking at this for a while. But of course the price is not nearly as good as yours! the one here sews well. So follow Billy's tutorial for cleaning up the machine and give it a shot. Dating it may not be easy. The shop owner thinks something around the 1940's. (He is my 'old sewing machine guy' and he and his wife deal in a lot of vintage/antique sewing machines, so they have tried researching the brand.)