View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Mousie
Power Poster

I just love stash questions.
1. How much: when I really like a fabric, how much I buy of it, depends on the size of the print. If it would make a good border, then I buy from 3 1/2 to 6 yards....so I can have some to put in the center. I'd say, I 'average', 4 yards.
If it is a small to medium print, I buy about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yards, depending on the color, and if I think I already have a bundle at home, (I put 95% of my fabrics in separate bundles, for individual projects)...if I think I have a bundle at home it will go with, I'll probably get 1 1/2 yards, unless, I think part of it, will be a border as well as go in blocks. Then I will buy 2 1/2 at least.
I quilt in sections, esp. the back, so I can use different fabrics, and mix them up. I use a 1/2" seam. So, I can buy whatever I can afford of a packed print, to use for backing fabric.
2. Storing Stash: In my humble opinion, and my own experience, the best way to store your stash is on shelves with a curtain. My main stash is like this, and all I have to do to get to it, is open the curtain, and locate the bundle, which is quite easy, and very enjoyable! I used to have bins...they were labeled, but would have to move and move them, open and dig, dig, dig....I'm in hog heaven with shelves!!!!
3. Knowing how much you have: I have been using masking tape and a fine point marker, for about four years, now. I write the name/description of the fabric. Under that, a little larger, I put amount of fabric...I do this to make it ez to read at a glance,...and then on bottom line, is the book, page number, and item number, where I keep the receipt for that fabric. A typical label might look like this:
B2P254NO12
translation:
B-BOOK
P-PAGE (page in book)
NO-NUMBER
THEN THE NUMBER. (I number the fabrics I bought, on the receipt with a line separating each one.
I buy all fabrics separately from other items. I keep all receipts.
I tape the receipt in a spiral notebook that is numbered, and the pages are numbered. When I get ready to wash the fabric, I clip the corners of the selvedge and attach one piece to the receipt in book, and one piece to the 'tag' that the store put on it.
If they didn't put a tag on it, that is when I make a label with the tape. If they do put a tag on it, I just jot the book, page, item numbers, (like example), on it, pin the little selvedge piece on, with a few descriptive words, in case piece gets lost.
Why do I keep these little corner pieces?
Bc after washing, occasionally I will have trouble deciding which label (that had to be removed b4 going into washer), goes on which fabric. I'm pretty descriptive, but with a little sample, it makes it much easier to identify later.
With the corners of my fabric cut, I know it has been washed and dried.
I do, however, also put W _ D__ I__ on label, for washed, dried, ironed, and check them off as it is done.
I am on second book, about page 254, and with that information, I can add up a good approximate of prices, yardage, age of fabric, embellishments....of any project.
Is this a little time consuming...yes, but it satisfies something in me...a need to know. It makes me happy, and doesn't hurt anything to keep these records, so there you have it...
QNC's quirky cataloguing tips, for likeminded quirky quilters :wink: