Old 11-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Cathe

Thanks Karla! I do need to update that! Did you find the page about selecting fabrics for a watercolor quilt?

We did live in that house, a few years ago. We rented the top part of it. It was a lovely place.

I haven't bought a kit before. I understand the interest, because some fabric stores won't sell 1/8 yards, and you need so many different fabrics! It's VERY expensive if you have to shop from scratch. I have a Rubbermaid tote filled with fabrics that are suitable for watercolor quilts, and a lot of squares cut and ready to use.

I started by using colored pencils on graph paper. For this kind of quilt, that works as well as any computer program! Then I tacked the pattern I drew on the wall next to the design wall. Then, using the pattern as a rough guide, FILL in the whole design grid. Don't try to be perfect yet - just fill it in with approximate colors/values. THEN you start arranging and replacing the squares to form your pattern. Because a watercolor quilt derives its pattern from the relative properties of all the fabrics, you have to get that grid filled in so you can start re-arranging them. Don't try to just start in one corner and build it perfectly right from the start - it won't work.