Old 08-19-2011, 07:35 AM
mamagee

I tried storing the batting rolls in the closet in the platic wrapping but I had to wrestle the rolls through a too-narrow door each time I needed to use it. It took up too much space to leave it in the room itself. Then I tried hanging them on "closet rods" in the closet, one mounted at the normal level and one mounted below the first roll. The disadvantage of that was that I no longer had closet space for clothes. What to do? The solution that has worked for me was to mount the same style brackets that support the closet shelf and has the closet rod holder attached over my dining room window. Then I mounted a second set of brackets to hold the 2nd roll of batting underneath the top roll, leaving only enough space to allow for free rolling of both rolls of batting.

Since I removed my dining room table to use the space for a cutting table, I can just unroll the batting directly onto the cutting table. Some natural light still manages to shine through the window and I simply added good lighting in the ceiling and lamps for task lighting at the sewing machine.

I have to admit that I live alone (I'm sure most husbands might object to having all my quilting supplies everywhere)--just have children and grandchildren who visit frequently and I have convinced them that it is normal to have a quilting frame in the living room, a cutting table in the dining room, material on the bookshelves, and quilting projects on every available surface. My 1-year old grandson loves to crawl under the quilting frame, has learned to pull himself up to see the quilt top, and loves the multitude of empty thread spools. I converted the extra bedroom which is too small for a sewing room to a playroom 5 years ago for the then 3 year old granddaughter when she was here every day. So what if my house looks different from most? All the children, grands, and great-grands know they are welcome and well-loved when they are here. We cook together, sew together, and quilt together. If someone comes over and doesn't like my style, I think that's THEIR problem rather than mine. Being 71 has its privileges and quilting is the one I choose to indulge.
Love is more important than having a neat and picture-perfect house.

Oops! This says 'quick reply.' I talk too much!!