Thread: BUCKET HATS
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Quiltinvaca

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Help, I think I am having a senior moment, I really cannot understand this part of the pattern

1.With RIGHT sides together, pin the center back seam of the crown, matching notches. Stitch in a 1/2" seam and press open. Machine stitch 1/2" from single-notched edge of crown. Clip to machine stitching.
I have been at it for about 2 hours and really cannot figure it out, tell me it's me being stupid!
Now I am really get in a muddle as right thro' the pattern it says "right sides together" and I can't figure out how to turn the hat right side out, is there an easier way :oops:
OK. Here's how I do it (ignore the directions). I make one complete hat. Sew the side piece(s) together making a ring. Sew the brim pieces(s) together making another ring. Now sew the side ring to the top circle. When that's done, sew the brim to the side piece. 1 hat is now made. Do the other exactly the same. Take the 2 hats, right sides together (set 1 inside the other) and sew all around the bottom of the brim EXCEPT for a few inches. Turn right sides out, press the bottom of the brim and stitch the opening closed. I stitch all around the very bottom edge and then make another row (or 2) of stitches about an inch apart.

I'm going to make another hat later today and I'll try to take pictures of each step.