View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

start with calling around- check with a local quilt shop- see who they use- call and ask lots of questions (not as if you are planning to compete with them- but ask what it costs---some charge by the inch- some by the foot- some by the project-
and the next one of yours you do- set a timer when you start to load it- each time you walk away- stop the timer- see exactly how much time you spend- write that down- and the measurements---remember mimimum wage is like $7.75 an hour- and that's minimum---i know my time is worth more than that!
most long-arm quilters expect the quilt top, backing and batting to arrive ready to be loaded and quilted- you should charge extra if you are having to square- or press any of the pieces-that is not generally included in cost of quilting. and if you have to trim the quilt after unloading-that is extra too-
some charge by the bobbin for thread- extra for color changes- some include the thread in their quilting price- there are lots of variables-
but if you choose to do it for the prices your little group are (hoping for) you may find yourself spending 18 hours a day trying to get everyone elses quilts done- with no time to ever make another one yourself...
after calling around and finding out what everyone else is charging it is ok to charge your close little group less if you want- but be careful- word of mouth travels FAST!you may want to tell them- i am only charging YOU this price- anyone else would have to pay.....