View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Jingle
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lynda in TN
I don't usually post, have sent some PMs to members, but read the posts daily. This one has certainly caught my eye. Even googling it, I can't find an answer, so will ask you ladies who seem to have had experience with this.

I have an older poodle. The poor thing has scratched and chewed his entire life. Nothing seems to help. He does not have worms. He will turn round and round out on the rough concrete to "scratch", I assume. In the past few months he does a "stretch" move where he actually looks kind of like he is hunching the bed, but I think he is either stretching his rear legs or somehow soothing an itch. Does this condition cause itching? Assuming he could "feel" something happening inside, it would make sense to me that he might. What do you who have had experience with this thing? Thanks so much for your replies.

Lynda in tn/GA/fl
Take him to a vet or groomer, sounds like his anal glands need to be expressed. They can rupture and cause problems. I had two sets of toy poodles and a small mixed breed dog, some had no problems if they were expressed regularly and the small mixed breed had tons of problems, whether they were expressed or not.