View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 06:27 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by MTS
But you could easily make a 12.5" FINISHED block (13" unfinished), as that works well on a 5x5 grid.

Each piece would FINISH at 2.25".

So the squares would all be cut at 2.75".
For the HST's blocks, the 3.5" starting squares are still big enough to trim down to 2.75" UNFINISHED.

And you're good to go.
Boy, all of you are so darn nice! Thank you~! In answer to your question. I like 12" blocks. Had I originally started my quilting "career" with 10" or 8", they probably would have been my favorite. I started with 12" blocks and I love to make samplers and there are more 12" sampler blocks than you could shake a stick at. I get in a rut when I want to make something special and this size block generally always works out for me, hence 12" blocks. I always know how much fabric to get, what size my quilts will turn out to be. I just know how to do 12"ers!!! But I wanted this block because the quilt I am making for my sister is a sampler and is reminiscent of her lake home, her husband, "my sister", her pets, her flowers, her birds, the bear, stuff like that. So when she gets old, she will always remember her pets, her flowers, her birds, the bear, etc. And my sister is a true star! Edie
I think you meant to say that each piece would finish at 2.5", so the squares would be cut at 3". This would make a finished block of 12.5", unfinished at 13". HST's should be cut at 4" and trimmed down.

The real question is why do you want a 12" block in the first place? The answer to that might give a clue as to the best way to proceed.