View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 06:38 AM
BluegrassGurl

I have spent the last year going through my basement.... which had become a "catch all" for the past 7 years. Yes that's right.... 7 years of off loading anything and everything to the basement. I am a very organized person... and little did I know how this mess was tearing me up on the inside.

I have went through every box, tote, bag, corner and crevice. Many times.... when I began to get that overwhelming feeling.. I just had to walk away. I kept telling myself... a little at a time. This box today.... tomorrow another box. Additionally, my kids have conveniently deposited many of their things to be stored in Mom's basement... lol.

I am very happy to say that it is very, very close to being complete. I never dreamed that it would take me one year!!! Holy smokes. But I just kept trudging along... a little at a time. I work full time and could not devote full days to the task. And... I did not beat myself up over taking soooooo long.

It is so worth it. Everything has a place... and everything is in its place. It is a happy place now and not a place of dread.

For anyone else that may be facing a daunting task like this.... I encourage you to take the first step.... go thru one box. Be prepared to let stuff go.... have a "throw away" pile.... "give away".... maybe "yard sale" pile. It is so liberating.

Happy decluttering!!!