Old 08-20-2011, 07:18 AM
olebat

Outdoors is not really an option for cleaning the machines. I have a small covered porch, but the rains blow under. Not that I'm complaining about the rain - let it pour - we really need it. However, the storms pop up suddenly, and are fairly brief. Then the sun is back out, (if it got cloudy in the first place), and then one could steam a pudding in the mail box. Although the early morning temps are about 74 degrees F., (before sunrise) the real feel is closer to 80 degrees. Having had three heat strokes, even 74 is too hot for me to be out for more than a few minutes.

How has this heat affected me? It's so hot, that even with all these wonderful sales going on, I've had to stay indoors and play rather than risk the heat and go shopping.(sob) I must brave it now though, because I need 6 1/2 yards of fancy black fabric for a current quilting project, and the largest I have in my stash is only 5 1/2 yds. Problem is, once I leave the house, I'll be out when the heat climbs to 93, and I'll be so exhausted when I come home I won't be able to do anything but drink water and nap. Probably won't even have the energy to take the fabric downstairs to the wash. The heat drains me something awful.

No space in the garage to work. We have a small portable building, but it's like a greenhouse - actually, my greenhouse is cooler. I have a small portable AC, but it is more like a heat pump, and can't keep up with the heat. I used the fan in the window trick when leading stained glass. That worked great for the fumes, but that was more of a smoke than fumes.