Old 08-20-2011, 05:31 PM
purplefiend

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Well, Sharon my guess is that because the Two Spools and the Davis Vertical Feed were 'different' that people just didn't take to them. Both machines are anomalies. The Two Spools should have taken off like gang busters, but it didn't - probably due to the fact that it takes a little getting use to inserting the second spool correctly. The Davis Vertical Feed should have been much more popular than it was - with the walking foot, it is a great machine for working over multiple layers like binding quilts. The one thing I have noticed about my Davis Vertical Feed is that 'Betty' really gives me a workout. The Davis, with no feed dogs to help move the fabric, is harder to treadle, at least my Betty takes some energy to treadle!

So I think, the Davis is more work which most women didn't want to do, and the Two Spools just took some getting use to. Remember, back then the general consensus was that women couldn't do technical things! Oh and I know Sharon knows this about sewing machine history as do most people who have been on this board a long time, but read the history of sewing machines! It was thought that women would not be able to handle too much technical stuff!

Nancy
Nancy,
I forgot that back when the Davis Vertical Feed and Two Spools were made that men thought we were pretty much brainless and far too delicate to figure out; much less run machinery.
I wouldn't have made a very good example of the good little
woman; probably would've been in trouble all the time. :roll:
Sharon W.