View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by MsEithne
Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
Please let me know if everyone quilts on Sunday, or is that a day that you you take off from quilting. The reason that I ask is because my Mother-in-law always told me that I shouldn't sew or quilt on Sunday.
This strikes me as going back to the Abrahamic religions' prohibition of working on the Sabbath.

If that is so, then isn't this a question for your theological authority? Because, really, what I do as a Buddhist may not be appropriate at all for someone of an Abrahamic faith.
How very true. But the Jewish Sabbath was from Fri. night til Sat. night. So, if we going to be true to the Jewish Sabbath, that is when we shouldn't sew, or cook, or walk very far, or drive a car, or turn on a light switch, or use anything electronic, or...... :) I'd say that most of the preachers who tell us not to do these things would quickly change their minds if we all decided not to cook or clean up dinner on the Sabbath.

P.S. I sew if I want to. (I'm not Jewish but DH and DD spent a summer doing archaeological work in Israel and came back with some interesting stories.) But sewing isn't my job, either. Taking a day off from work once a week is a wonderful idea!