View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 AM
DogHouseMom

Nope 8 weeks is perfect.

yes they bark and cry but trust me, they'll get over it. You have to just learn to ignore it.

Some things that can help ....

A blanket, rug or small towel from the breeder that smells like mom and the rest of the litter. I used to buy those cheap $2 string rugs from Menards and toss them in the litter box then send one home with each puppy.

A ticking alarm clock.

A radio playing softly.

The crate should be a room where puppy can't see you. That will just encourage the whining. But it should also be in a room that is accessible for the puppy when he wants to use it. He will eventually want to use it for naps because he'll associate it with sleep.

Make sure the room is dark and other house noises (people talking etc) can't be heard. At least initially. Once he gets used to his crate it won't matter.

Give the puppy his meals in his crate.

Use short crate times through out the day. Toss his toy into it for him to retrieve (and immediately bring out), feed him in it, keep his toys in it, keep a nice soft blankie in it.

PM me if you have more questions. I've crate trained lots and lots of puppies and have written articles about it for the magazines.

Sue