View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 08:18 AM
nance-ell

When I first heard of crate training, I didn't understand either. After all, when I was growing up and we had dogs, nothing like that was done (at least by anyone we knew). I thought it sounded cruel.

As an adult, when I decided to get another puppy, I started researching. A dog natually is a pack animal that has a "den". The den is his/her safe place. During the day, they sleep alot. The crate gives the dog the safe place to rest and sleep when you're not home -or even when you are! It also serves to "train" their bathroom habits. They generally will not "go" where they sleep, so they learn to hold it until you let them out. You must be cognizant of their ability to "hold" based on size, age, already learned habits, but the crate is an invaluable potty training tool when used properly.

Now our maltipoo spends a great deal of time in her crate - with the door wide open, even when we are home. The lab was crate trained as a young dog, but we've since put the crate away as it was an eyesore and I was tired of seeing it. He has made his "den" under the end table in the living room. It is enclosed on 3 sides by furniture and a wall, and he loves it there. At night he will slide his head under the bed for that sense of "enclosure".

So what I have learned is that crate training is actually healthy for the dog (again if done properly). It's only cruel if used solely for punishment or if they are not fed, watered and let out as needed.

Originally Posted by nativetexan
i've never understood the need for a crate. anybody? my son's dog goes into his crate easily. it's a huge one.
their cat goes outdoors and broke her leg, vet costs once and the cast came off outdoors and now my DIL won't take her back to the vet. she should have kept it indoors until healed at least. anyway, just wondering about crates.