Thread: Fabric stashes
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 AM
yayaquilts

I recently cleaned up my 'stash' and reorganized it. That took a lot longer than I had anticipated (2 full days)! I do have more than I thought I did, but I haven't actually calculated how much (I think I'd rather not know. I wouldn't want to feel guilty that I might have too much!). I love fabric and quilters can't have too much fabric, now can we!?!

Cleaning out the closet shelves and basket organizer, full of fabric, made me aware of saving some fabric I really didn't like, and/or wondering why I bought it in the first place?!!. So I also weeded out the fabric I knew I wouldn't ever use, and have given it away. I, too, put fabric and patterns for specific projects together in project bags, which made me aware of more To Do's and UFO's than I thought I had! I love being able to see what I have in the way of colors and patterns now that my fabric collection is neat! That way I can focus on adding the fabrics I really need!

Although I have sewn all my life, (YIKES! figured out I have been sewing for over 50 years!! I ask you, how can that be? I'm a young 60 years!!!!), and made some quilts over 30 years ago, I only really got hooked on "quilting" again (my hubby calls it an "obsession" but I prefer to call it my "passion") about 5 1/2 years ago, when I started working in a quilt shop. At that time, I did not have a "stash!" I prefer to call my fabric a "collection," since I am a "collector" of many things!!

I attend 3-4 quilt retreats a year with some BFF's. After organizing my fabric, I decided to take a few UFO's to finish at retreats and maybe only 1 new project to work on so as to not stifle my creativity! I've also decided that I need to go to my collection first when starting a project.

I've recently made 2 gift quilts for friends and took all the fabrics needed from my collection! I'm going to be starting a Block of Month quilt from McCalls Quilting with my BFF and I am using fabrics from my collection! It's a good feeling to be using what I have first! You can see my sewing room and fabric collection on my blog[url][http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com/2011/07/where-i-sew.html]