Old 08-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Rebecca VLQ

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I quilt now on domestic machine, it is a Viking Mega Quilter so it has a 9 in. throat and it is fairly easy. Getting a frame for it next week so I don't know. I'm hoping it will make it easier and bypass all that pinning and basting once it is on the frame. I know there will be a learning curve. I have a couple of tops I finished years ago lined up to be practice models.
Rebecca VLQ, can I ask what you mean by HUGE. Was it harder, easier, did it take long to learn, etc. I am excited to get my frame, but really don't know what is involved.
Yes, there is a learning curve...even to just pin it up so it's even, but it's not too difficult.

I'd say my favorite improvements by going to a frame is the fact that I don't have to pin the layers together (and unpin when I'm done, lol!)

Also, on my "standard" machine, rolling and unrolling, and stuffing the excess quilt into the throat space...took so much time. And then I was only doing SITD, no curves or anything. Once you get the hang of it on a frame, stipple and swirls are SO easy. And relaxing.

I dunno if it is much faster to quilt this way, but I can do MORE quilting on each piece in the same time, kwim?