Old 08-21-2011, 01:45 PM
greenini

We left work in '92, i was 43, DH was 47. we intended to get secondary jobs that would have been more fulfilling, but illness struck me, I got disabled and got SSDI and with his pension and our savings we have not worked for pay since.

We have volunteered at the food bank once a week for a couple of years, then quit because of logistics. DH began feeding a dear friend of ours in a nursing home his lunch daily and when our friend died, he continued to feed another lady at that table who had no one to come daily.

I found quilting, we both found camping and VW campers. We shop thrift stores for the fun of the hunt and to save $. We can cook in or eat out, as we live in a huge restaurant friendly area. It's cheaper to eat lunch out. You can go see movies in the afternoon when no one else is there and the tickets are cheaper! If there is live theater, volunteer to be an usher, you get to see the play for free.

Trust me, you'll find your way. It's a good suggestion to not plan too much at first and to rest up well. Maybe start setting up a quilting project or two so that they are ready to go when you retire.
Have fun and enjoy yourself most of all!