Old 06-13-2009, 07:49 AM
dunster
Power Poster

It does look like a nifty ruler, but they need to edit that video. She says that if she wants a finished size of 5 1/2 she is going to cut her squares to 5 7/8. I'm sure she means a finished size of 5, but that isn't what she says. And wouldn't you think June Taylor would have a sewing room backdrop for her video?

I tried one of the June Taylor rulers for cutting strips (shape cut ruler?) and thought it was flimsy and not all that accurate. I returned it to Wal-Mart. Maybe I just wasn't used to it yet, so I'm wondering if other people have had the same problem.

Okay, now that I'm complaining, there's another question. If you cut your squares exactly 7/8 inches larger than you want your finished square, and if you sew an exact 1/4 inch (which this tool is supposed to ensure), wouldn't you wind up with perfect HST's without the need to square them up? If you plan to square them up anyway, don't you also plan to cut them larger? I'm in no way saying that I always (or ever) wind up with perfect HST's, but IF you're buying a ruler to ensure a perfect seam line and a perfect cut, then why wouldn't the resulting square be perfect?

Sorry for the negativity. I don't make a whole lot of HST's, but I have seen a lot of different methods for them, and many don't require a special ruler. I do like the marking feature that this ruler offers.