View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 PM
DonnaBatiks

My guild in Germantown (outside of Memphis) donated about 70 quilts to our new Baptist Hospice Center in Collierville. They have gone through them which makes me very sad. But we have received lovely letters from the families who each got to take one home with them to remember their loved one. The nurses all said it was the only bright thing on the bed because all the linens are white so they can bleach them. I am in the process of making more right now and the call has gone out to the guild for more. Our guild has over 90 members. If we all just made one if would help. I took blocks, tops that I have had for years and put them together for the quilts I am donating. We also have many longarmers who like to quilt but hate to bind. So we find someone who likes to bind or piece or whatever and it is amazing how many quilts you can receive.
We have also done quilts for the new Baptist Womens Hospital, an Alzheimers Home, 9/11 quilts for different places, Kings, Sons, and Daughters nursing home (110!), pillow cases for a needy children's preschool (300!), St, Jude Children's Hospital and quilts for the walls at a church retreat we attend (to quilt) once a year.
I am always amazed at the generosity of people especially quilters! Thanks to everyone out there who has donated a quilt.