Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Obsessed

I've been a busy bee this weekend - here are two more blocks...

First is Blazing Star - not much to say about that. It turned out OK. I hadn't planned to use the green originally, but I'm thinking that my quilt is going to need more green so I used that for the "background" applique. I think I like it.

But then - Bill's Bright Hopes. Yikes. I had fits trying to figure out the colors on this one. I spent more time last night just staring at my fabrics than I did sewing. And it still turned out icky. I glued and ripped apart and re-glued three times trying different combinations. My fabrics don't really lend themselves to fussy cutting and I feel like the center of this block could use a little punch of something - I actually cut out a couple of applique templates I thought about using, but I didn't really like any of them. I just need to remember that this is just one small part of my quilt and it doesn't need to be a stand-alone piece of art! In the end, I decided that simple with a little contrast was better than anything else I tried, and I stuck with just three colors.

Not only was *I* giving myself fits with this block - I swear the pattern from the book is backwards. If you fold under where the stars are on the pattern pieces for the big rectangle appliques, you would have to put them on the background in the other direction and the smaller appliques wouldn't make sense. Maybe I got myself turned around somehow, but it worked for me to follow the photos and not to follow the pattern. I'm glad that one is over.

So here are my blocks... thanks for looking and be ready for more! Seven more to go...

Blazing Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244980[/ATTACH]

Bill's Bright Hopes (or dim future - as the case may be)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]244981[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244974.jpe   attachment-244975.jpe