Thread: Klunk!
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
I thought ALL Pfaff machines were made in Germany- aren't they?
Those WERE the days. Nope - Pfaff is off-shoring these days.

Originally Posted by k3n
I guess throat isn't really an issue unless you do a lot of big quilts. The Janome has a walking foot attachment - how is that different from built in? i really like the seam length feature on the Pfaff though - I guess I have to decide which features are the most important for me. If I win the lotto, I can get one of each, but not likely since I don't DO the lotto! :lol:
The add-on foot is loud and clunky (in my opinion) whereas the built in just hooks under the sewing foot and you don't even know it's there. (I immediately know when it is not engaged though.) I also have a GrandQuilter with a 9" throat. (didn't win the Lotto - just saved A LOT. (No kids - need I say more?) DH had the nerve to say: Well honey - some people collect baseball cards, you collect sewing machines. :twisted:

Already had my first disaster last night: apparently the thread wasn't secured well in tension slot B and slipped out without me realizing. Suddenly, the machine sucked my sample swatch into the throat plate with the needle firmly engaged. It didn't move up - didn't move down, I freaked. So I calmed down and dismantled the throat plate (great way to get intimate). Took a while to dislodge all the threads. BUT I am back in business. I didn't realize that it has a mirroring feature. Now that's nice!