Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM
BettyGee

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
Originally Posted by roselady
Thank you, everyone for all your opinions. You have given me some new places to consider. I know that, being from California, I probably have a very wrong idea of what winters must be like in places like Michigan, Montana, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. I tend to imagine that those places live with 5 feet of snow for 6 months. I tend to think that there would be no way to have a vegetable garden in those places, so if I am wrong about some of those things, please set me straight.
Again southwest Michigan....we do have snow from December (we hope for a white Christmas) through March. We live along Lake Michigan and get a heavy amount of "lake effect" snow---big giant flakes that do last. Other side of the state the snow melts and is a slushy mess. Our snow lasts and then you can go sledding or skiing or enjoy the beauty. My garden is doing well.....putting out tomatoes like crazy and other veggies.
In fall, the apple orchards call out to us....mmmm apple cider and doughnuts with the crisp leaves crunching under your feet as you walk. The gorgeous colors of fall are breathtaking. Some people don't like the winters with many gray sky days. Then they can stay inside. I love the snowman in the front yard and the beauty of it all. I agree---go and visit and then make your decision.
Michigan is without a doubt one of the most beautiful states we have. I love the snow too, your description of the leaves and cider - yummy all the way.