Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Kappy

Originally Posted by mizlee123
I have posted a few pictures of my first quilt during the process of cutting, piecing, putting it all together, binding, etc. I am now machine quilting it, in the ditch, just for practice and to see how it looks. I'm quickly discovering that this is not my favorite thing to do and it doesn't add any beauty to my quilt. I'm seriously considering just doing the tops and then getting someone else to quilt it. Am I crazy? Is this too expensive? How many of you just do tops and then have someone else quilt it? I see Charismahs work and it always add tons of beauty to a lovingly made quilt...
Oh, I'm with you. I can piece so much better than I can quilt. I am NOT happy with my FMQ, that said, I have found that I like the effect that going from the top corner to the bottom corner (same side of the block) in a gentle arching motion looks nice to me and it's much easier to do. If you do that on all four sides and then the surrounding squares you actually get a nice design!!! I would love to send my quilt tops out to be quilted, but right now money is tight, and I'm stubborn enough to keep trying until I'm happy with my results! Charishmah need never fear me! ;-) I think it would be very difficult to duplicate on a home sewing machine the same results as you get on a long arm...I'm sure some can do it. Just not me :lol: