Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I worked this weekend on cleaning up my Standard sewing machine in treadle. I picked this one up for free about a month ago. A cute couple were in the Bay Area to oversee a sale of a house, and they needed this machine out of the house quickly. The machine had been the guy's grandmother's machine. He was so happy to see the machine go to someone who would clean it up and use the machine.

After I got the cabinet and machine all cleaned up, I gave it a test drive. Well, at first I couldn't get the machine to pick up the bobbin thread. I looked online for a manual with no avail. My first thought was that the bobbin must not be in correctly. So, I read White rotary manuals, Domestic rotary manuals, and any other rotary manual for a treadle machine that I could find on the internet. The Standard bobbin looks just a wee bit different from the Whites, but not too much difference in technology. I decided that the bobbin wasn't the issue and decided to study the mechanism for picking up the threads. Light bulb went off! I realized that I needed to turn the hand wheel away from me, just like a White. What a Duh moment!!!

Her name is Rose; named after the grandmother.
She is a sweet machine, and she stitches beautifully!
Monica, that is one really nice setup you got for 'freeeee!'

Have you run out of room yet? I have for sure - at least for treadles. I am not sure where I am going to put the three that are still sitting in the garage - 2 of which are getting a face lift!

Nancy