Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Butterflyblue

My 5 yr old DD just started school yesterday. She was so excited. My DS, on the other hand, who is almost 4, was a real pill all morning. He's had her around to play with for his whole life (of course minus the occasional day here and there when one or the other of them went with Daddy or a GP or something) and the transition is going to be hard for him.

He was whiny, screaming, defiant, you name it. I tried spending special time with him, but then he'd start whining, which quickly progresses to screaming and needing to be sent to his room to cool off. I don't feel like I can let that behavior slide just because I feel sorry for him, and I need him to learn to play by himself for a little while so that I can get things done around the house.

Does anyone have suggestions? How have you dealt with similar situations?

I posted this question on another board, one devoted to parenting, and got a lot of suggestions that I send him to Pre-K, which I had already stated was not an option for us. So please refrain from suggesting pre-K. I feel like this is a temporary problem and enrollment in Pre-K is a more permanent solution than I'm really looking for, plus there are other reasons I just don't think it is the right choice for us.