Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by quilt addict
You all will be proud of me. The grub screw holes in my Singer 319 somehow stripped out when I removed the screws to take the machine out of the table I refinished. I bought a new thread tapping die at Lowes and made new threads in the holes and bought matching screws....not original of course, but it's in the table and works. Woohoo! I was kind of sweating this one and was worried I'd really mess it up. I gave my 319 a kerosene bath today which cleaned it up some what.
Good for you Candance! Have you posted pictures yet?
Of the machine and refinished table, but not together. I tried sewing on the 319 and the bobbin thread won't pick up which is scaring me that it needs a timing adjustment:<
You do have the right needle? 206x13 is the number I think.

Yes, the right needle, but the bobbin thread isn't picking up. I don't know when I'll have time to mess with it. I start night class tonight and I've been messing with this machine and my 301 for over a week to get them running!
You might try taking apart the throat plate then try putting it all back together as seen in your owner's manual sometimes that helps a 301 - maybe your 319 has to go a certain way, too. If the needle, thread and shuttle ARE engaging at all it is NOT timing - it could be a burr. (If you open up the throat plate & take off the feed dogs it is easier to watch the thread and the needle closely.) There has been discussion on here about burrs. Does the thread pass through the tension way too tight? If the hook misses the needle's eye it would be timing. If the needle is the wrong length - size matters - some of the machines take a different from normal length needle and they won't work at all. If the needle is in backwards it won't work. If the needle is threaded the wrong direction it won't work. If the tension is too tight it won't work right - same as too loose. This video can help you know if it is timing. I think the part where he tested it is where I would start with your machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhlHbUYwV8