View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by azwendyg
I don't mind answering your questions at all. By the way, I really admire your work too! Your "Raspberry Ripple" was one of the first really intriguing designs I spotted on this site when I joined.

It wasn't too hard to quilt the faux suede. Since the backing on this particular material is woven and the top is kind of fuzzy (not the Ultrasuede that would likely leave holes), I don't think this would leave holes if I had to pick anything out though(I didn't). I noticed that it didn't slide nearly as easily under the foot as cotton does, so it was a little more challenging that way and I had to get used to how much pressure to use to move it. I used a fairly heavy needle, about the size of a jeans needle, and normal weight cotton thread, not the finer quilting thread I sometimes use on lighter fabrics. I don't even know what brand the thread is; I got it at a BARGAN price of 1.99 a spool for what looks to be at least 1100 yard spools at a discount/warehouse fabric outlet. I'm sure it came from a manufactuing factory and seems to be pretty high quality, and gorgeous colors!

Hope that answers your questions.

Wendy
That's brilliant Wendy, thank you and also for the compliment. I love your FMQ and also that it's done on a DSM - just had a look through your other topics and see your hero is K McT - she's one of mine too. ;-) :-D