Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM
deplaylady

Originally Posted by Lisa T
Hello, vsm gurus! I had started a thread (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-147321-1.htm) about this machine I was given today and got some great info- enough to get me wondering about some OTHER stuff... I now know that my machine is a 128, made in 1940.

After a little research I have figured out that has the crinkle finish- which I mistakenly thought was a bad finish at first because it looks so dull compared to my 201 but now I know better. I personally prefer the shiny finish- I have been known to play with tin foil... ;)- but some people like the "Godzilla" finish so I won't paint it as I was kind of thinking about doing.

And I thought that the parts that were supposed to be chrome were tarnished, but they are- maybe? blackside? There is some significant damage to the wood- not sure how to fix that. Is it repairable with wood putty?

The two throat plates are also the blackside finish, but have a little rust on them- not in perfect condition, but totally useable- I do intend to use this machine as long as the bobbins don't run out too fast. (They look like they don't hold much thread.)

So, is it true that a blackside with the crinkle finish is harder to come by? I am not worried about value- this is a family hand-me-down, but I thought it would be nice to tell my MIL and aunt-IL what I have learned about it. And if it is actually one of the more rare finishes, well, I won't paint it. :)
You know, I don't usually go for the Godzilla finish, but with those black side plates it's really pretty. The only one I saw 'in the field' was really greasy and grimey and not pretty at all - it was a New Home - nothing fancy, nothing pretty, plain rusty plates and an icky motor. Needless to say, it stayed right at the garage sale I found it (it was more than I would have wanted to pay, anyways.) Again - yours is really pretty - that I could go for!