Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Xtgirl

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and have been bitten by the quilting bug. I'm interested in making some supplemental income and preparing for another career after retirement from the military...hopefully a long way off:)

Here is the scenario.please tell me your thoughts(especially those who are doing long arm work now or have dealt with hiring machine quilters).

I have no experience at this time. I buy an apqs millenium with a computer. I practice on my own projects and charity projects but hope/plan to use the computerized system to quilt for a business as soon as I feel would not harm anyone's hard work with my lack of experience and produce a good product And practice free form for myself during that time.

How hard is it to break in...is there enough demand in the metro dc area to at
least do 4 quilts a month...enough to break even on business expenses. Can I be as busy as I want to be in this area or is the demand just not high enough.

I'm going to talk to quilt shops but I wanted to talk to people that aren't also hoping to sell me something:)

The other idea is to put my business on the side burner, buy a Bailey and a frame and just do it for myself. I would be happy if I were busy enough in the business to pay off the equipment each month and anything over that would be a bonus. I was very excited about doing something I find so interesting, but I also want to be realistic about my chances of success.

Could you tell me your thoughts?