Thread: sleep apnea
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

I was diagnosed 7 years ago - I couldn't get on with the mask that only covered my nose, but once I got the larger version that covers nose and mouth, I was fine. It is very much second nature to me now - in fact became so quite early on. Once you realise how much better you feel during the day (because you have slept more restfully) it is much easier to adapt to the situation.

And the machine is much quieter than you may fear, and certainly much quieter than the snoring you will have been doing (in case you have a sleep partner, they will notice a big difference too).

All airlines carry them free too, and for a long haul flight, I believe they will facilitate you using the machine during the flight.

If you feel you are struggling to adapt, do take advice from your Sleep clinic or CPAP supplier, it might just be a question of tweaking, or adjusting. I found that I felt the need for a higher pressure than I was prescribed, because I was taking the mask off in my sleep, now it has been adjusted up a bit, I am fine.

It might sound like the end of the world, but at least you don't have to take drugs for the rest of your life, and your daytime tiredness will be much less, so you should begin to feel the benefit quite quickly.