Thread: sleep apnea
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 AM
BuzzinBumble

Schoolteacher, If they have recommended a CPAP machine, by all means follow through on that!

It does take some getting used to wearing that mask and using the machine, but the effects of NOT having one are so dire that there is no question about how worthwhile they are. Sleep apnea can kill you, if not in the night, then through the toll it takes on your internal organs and heart and brain.

I was just diagnosed this summer too. Moderate sleep apnea, stopping breathing every 3 or 4 minutes with very shallow breathing in between. I've had my CPAP about a month and am still working with my respiratory therapist to get it just right. But I would not go one night without it. The difference with how i feel during the day is too great. My mind is sharper, my vision seems clearer (with no dark edges) and I have far fewer of those crushing apnea headaches. Also, I have lost 5 pounds and it has not been through dieting. (My doctor says that sleep apnea slows your metabolism to a crawl.)

Being diagnosed with sleep apnea is only the beginning. It is disheartening in that you've basically been told you have a life threatening handicap. But on the other hand... it is such a blessing that there is something that can be done to help!