Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
I forgot to say......I didn't know that some fabrics are dyed and some have painted or printed on designs. Is this why some fabrics have a whitish backing and others seem to be almost the same color as the front??? I'm think it is.

I was some designer fabrics that were almost $13.00 a yard. Am I paying for the name of the desinger?? They didn't feel much softer or more dense than most of the other fabrics I looked at then.
Yes, if you look at a batik or a homespun it's next to impossible to tell right side from wrong - and most of the time there is "no" right side. I've found only a few batiks that made a difference.

the price of cotton has indeed gone up, but at $13.00/yard it could be a specific line from a designer that costs more, or perhaps an imported fabric. Some of the designers will charge more for one line than they will another (for example if there is a lot of gold on the print, or if the print required exacting registration (registration = the correlation between each of the die boards laying down different colors - the more intricate the print the harder it is to register one die board/color to another). Some of the imported African, Australian, and Japanese fabrics cost more as well. Here it's more of a cost of import issue than it is a quality issue.