Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by Nantie
Hi, I would like to know what featherweight machine you might recommend as someone's first. i have seen a lot of reference to the 221 and wonder if that would be a good starting point. Several are advertised on ebay but my lack of knowledge makes me hesitant to just "jump in" and purchase one. The prices are quite variable and not all of them say they work. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. i am new to the board and loving every minute i spend on it. thanks
Nantie, Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage machines!!

The 221 IS the Featherweight. :) Be alert to others that claim to be FWs, simply by virtue of being black machines, and the new modern FW, which is another piece of junk. ;)
Ask questions of the sellers. Ask them if the machine works. If it doesn't, don't let that deter you if the machine is in good shape otherwise. It's too easy to fix a FW, and many times the reason the seller will say it doesn't work is because they've threaded it wrong, or have the needle in wrong...

You DO want to inquire about the bobbin case. Those are expensive items to replace.

As for color, the original colors were black, white, and tan.

Good luck with your search!!