Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Janis

Thanks for the info, Miriam. I copied it and will put it where it's handy for my vintage sewing machines. I also like the idea of having a copy in the car for garage saleing, so I'd better run off another.
Also, If you see a Singer 99 (Singer 99-13) and it has the bentwood case and a little hole in the bottom right of the base of the cabinet, it should have a knee bar that fits in there to run the machine. Some are missing on some of the machines I've seen on Craigslist, and I don't know if they can be found for sale anywhere. Just a thought..... Those machines CAN be made into a crank machine too.
Another tip. To know how your needle needs to go into your machine, look at the last loop the thread needs to go through on the needle shaft. That will tell you which way the needle needs to be threaded and that side is where the grove of the needle goes. I hope this makes sense.... Sometimes people get rid of their machines because the machine won't sew, and all that's wrong is that they have the needle in wrong!