Thread: sleep apnea
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Peckish

Having sleep apnea is very, very hard on your heart. When you stop breathing, your body goes into alarm mode, fires off a truckload of adrenalin and shoots your heart rate up. Your body wakes up enough to start breathing again, but now there's all those stress hormones floating around inside you. It is NOT good for your heart to be stressed like that all night long. Think about a time when you had a close call - barely avoided an accident, or maybe heard a noise outside your house and thought it might be a bad guy? Remember how your body reacted? It's doing that ALL NIGHT LONG with sleep apnea.

If you happen to be of the few people with sleep apnea that doesn't have the stress response, then you are risking brain damage and even death from lack of oxygen.

I strongly urge you to have a sleep study done. There are LOTS of options for machines and gear these days, it should not be difficult to find one that is comfortable for you. My husband has one, my mom has one, my brother-in-law has one. I find the quiet white noise it makes much more reassuring than the loud snores, then sudden deafening silence when my husband stops breathing.