Thread: Manners?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM
cathyvv

Originally Posted by litacats
funny you should ask that tonight.
I was at chicken treat and the young girl serving upset the man next to me because she didn't say thank you for his order or thank you when he paid for his meal. when ever she should have said thank you he said it for her (sarcasticly) it just went right over her head, he complained about the lack of manners in young people today. I must admit I said something to him to the affect that it is the person that trained her that should have taught her better but then the buck doesn't stop there why didn't her parents teach her manners. it doesn't cost a thing to be polite and people respect you more for being polite.
Seems to me that he wasn't very mannerly himself. When I waitressed (many years ago), I remember many people expecting courtesy when they weren't giving it. That's been going on since time began and will go on until time ends.

What you said is true, it doesn't cost anything to be polite and respect people. However, as a young person on the job, I would have respected him far more if he said gently said something like this as he was paying the check:

"You know, you'll get bigger tips if you say thank you to your customers while you're waiting on them."

He gets his irritation out and she learns something. Nobody loses.

But to answer the question, yes, I say please, thank you, you're welcome, can I help you, etc. Taught my kids the same, and my grands are learning manners, too. But the best way to teach anyone a desired behavior is by example. If you're mannerly, your kids will be, too.