View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 AM
thrums

I went to a favorite LQS last week and experienced sticker shock. I knew to expect fabric at $12.95 but I also saw fabric at $15.95!

I'm happy to read some manufacturers are price sensitive and are trying to keep the prices down.

Thanks for the note.

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Today the Quilting Treasures sales rep stopped by and you will all be pleased to know that they have not had any price increases this time around.

:thumbup:

They are coming out with one final "Gone with the Wind" collection. And they have lots of cute licensed stuff, including another "Hungry Animal Alphabet" group (artwork by Janet Wecker Frisch). But my favorite is their new Peanuts line, with Snoopy and Charlie Brown and lots of the other characters (even Pigpen).

Also the Robert Kaufman rep stopped by. No price increases in their regular (printed) lines, but their fall-arrival batiks have gone up 50 cents / yard at the wholesale level. As it was explained to me, the problem is that the folks that make the batiks no longer are able to get the greige goods (undyed cloth) themselves, and so Kaufman has to order it separately and have it shipped to them. I'm not clear on all the details, but it seems to be that India and China are not willing to give up any of their cloth to be printed or dyed in other countries. They will allow it to be used, only if it is printed/dyed in their own country. Kaufman doesn't want to have their batiks done in India or China because the quality would not be as good or as consistent. And so the price increase is due to the extra shipping costs to get the cloth from wherever it is now coming from.

Just thought you might like to know the latest "inside scoop".