Old 08-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by sewmary
All bamboo batting is not equal. Are you talking about 100% bamboo, the 50/50 rayon-bamboo, the 50-50 cotton-bamboo, the 50-50 silk-bamboo?

I have used 100% bamboo and loved it.

As to the environmental effects: cotton is heavily sprayed with chemicals/pesticides. Bamboo grows well without pesticides but there are other environmental concerns about deforestation, etc. Poly is entirely petro-chemicals (oil-based). Rayon is a 50/50(or so) blend of natural products and chemicals used in manufacturing it. And there's probably something wrong with using silk also! Pick your poison!

Whew - pretty heavy for a quilting board!
Bamboo is a natural fiber, but in order for it to be soft and not like splinters it has to be processed with harsh chemicals that turn it into rayon. It is no longer bamboo. It is Rayon made from bamboo. Nothing environmentally good about it. So, as long as you are ok with using rayon with no thoughts of "bamboo is good for the environment" then you are ok. I have no problem with the product itself, just the marketing of it as environmentally concious. It isn't. I will choose the chemicals used to defoliate cotton, myself.