View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Annaleehunter

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Originally Posted by deema
Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
deema, I got a FW in January and it took some time for me to get through every little quirk that I was doing. Here is a link that might help. Scroll down the page a little bit to find skipping stitches. I’m using a 70/10 needle and it’s working fine. Have you changed thread? Hope this helps and I'm curious to hear what others have to tell you.

http://singerfeatherweight221.blogsp...herweight.html
Thank you for the link. I may try a bigger needle and see if that helps. Smaller number means bigger needle, right? So an 80/12 would be bigger than the 90/14...?

I didn't change the thread between piecing blocks and piecing the rows. I started a new spool when I started piecing this top and it's still pretty full. This is the first time piecing a top with my FW (I've only had her for a few weeks), so it could be that she's just temperamental about thread. I might try a different kind, (Using Connecting Threads thread), but like I said, there were no problems at all until today and I've been using the same spool for the whole thing thus far.

When I changed out the bobbin, it was nearly empty, so I thought it might have been sort of a bobbin tension kind of issue from it being so low, but the newly wound full bobbin didn't help it any...
Yes I believe so. I use a universal needle because I always sew with 100% cotton so I'm not very knowledgeable about needles at all. I googled sewing machine needles and found this, hope it helps. http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingmac...Sizes.--94.htm

You might be on to something about the thread. I've read other people saying that FW's are picky about thread. When you place the thread on the spool pin make sure that the bar code is on the bottom. FW's are fussy about this.

I’m wondering if you adjust the tension a tad if it might help.
The 1st two weekends after I got my FW I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong! That old song “Getting to Know You” from the King & I kept going through my head.

Have you changed anything else recently? If so that could be the culprit. I know this sounds obvious but it wasn’t for me at first – I was so confused.
Awesome blog site! Thank YOU!