Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 AM
BettyGee

I have been making yo-yos for many years as I'm sure all of you have and when you need many of them for a project it can become a rather boring task.

The very talented instructor of my sewing class taught a project using yo-yos and she had a yo yo maker. I've always thought that it was not necessary to have a tool to make one of the easiest pieces of hand sewing around. However when she demonstrated the large yo yo maker I thought how very cool to have all your stitches nice and evenly spaced. Yes I purchased one.

This morning I went to work on my Dresden Plate topper and thought how cool it would be to use my new "toy" to create the center. The blades had turned out so beautifully, they lay very flat against the back and I was very pleased at how my project was going. I had cut out the circle for the center so all I had to do was put it in the yo yo maker and stitch. How fantastic to have this tool and have all my stitches even... So I stitched with anticipation at having the perfect yo yo to place in the center of my Dresden Plate.

Then I decided to look at the instructions that came with my cool new toy. Looking at the instructions before using it never entered my little pea brain. I mean how hard could it be? Put the fabric across the plate and slip the disk on top to hold the fabric in place for stitching and off you go. Right? The bold print caught my eye that said to be sure not to sew from the wrong side of the unit because if you do you will be unable to remove the disk from the plate. Yes, my fellow quilters, I had sewn the disk into my yo yo. I was able to remove the disk with some careful pulling; however that ain't how it was suppose to work.

I am laughing at myself for doing something so dumb and I just wanted to share my stupidity with you so perhaps if you're having a "bad hair day" you will get a chuckle out of this.

So now I'm going back downstairs and make the center for my lovely Dresden Plate Topper.

A side note. The yo yo maker is very cool and when used properly will yield a nice piece of work.

So laugh at me or with me, but please have fun with my story.