Old 08-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Kristin in ME

Oh, dear. My second bed-sized quilt. I found a floral fabric that was so beautiful. I came up with a pattern to feature it and planned to quilt feather wreaths over the large open blocks between dark green chain. I thought it would look like a trellis. Problem was (the first problem, that is), I didn't have a pattern and really didn't know what I was doing. Mismatched seams and disappearing points everywhere. Little tiny chain blocks. I finally got that son of a gun pieced together and sandwiched and was so excited to start quilting. At that point I still liked it. Soon after I started quilting it, I realized that the quilting didn't show on the floral fabric, which was an especially big blow since I was handquilting it. It was going to look very blah. All the badness of it just started to glare out at me.

I changed the plan from feather wreaths to one giant outline of a heart in the center of those big blocks. I started to hate the whole thing, but kept plugging away anyway. (I bought fabric for, and abandoned, a couple of other quilts before this one. DH was giving me the evil eye.) Eventually I hated it so much that I put it in a trash bag and stashed it away in the attic.

Last year, I pulled it out and gave it to my sister. She kept it for a while- then gave it back, darn it. Back to the attic.

The thing is, it was supposed to be for my little girl and she really liked it (she didn't know any better!).

I pulled it out recently to re-assess the situation. I think I've come up with a quilting compromise that I can live with (will just have to pull out that one feather wreath), so it's now on the list of things to finish. DD has moved on and wants me to make her a different quilt, but at least it will be done and will keep somebody warm in the winter!