Thread: My 2 hour quilt
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 PM
QM
Power Poster

A few years back I was asked to prepare an exhibit for begining quilters. I made examples of fairly simple quilts, kits of basic paper piecing, then got the idea to do this quilt as you go project. My first one took 2 1/2 hours, while I was also teaching paper piecing and explaining the quilint process to a large number of quilt show attendees, many of them small children. It has always been a hit, so I have made several of the quilt-as-you-go project, although I usually don't repeat designs.

The idea is simple. Lay out your backing and batting. Prepare your center piece. I usually use a piece 18"x27-36. I fold it both ways and cut off all 4 corners. The triciest part is getting it exactly centered on the batting. I pin it. Sometimes, but not always, I quilt the center before I go on.

I take strips of fabric, and work around the edges of the center, sewing them on. My strips are anywhere from 1 1/2" to 3". They are sometimes random scraps. I finger press each one open, then cross it and continue around the center. The tricky looking intersections are merely cut parallel to the other fabrics.

At some point, I have covered the batting , except for the corners. Now I use the pieces I cut off esarlier. In this quilt, I added edges to the triangles before I sewed them on, then top stitched the corners. Now it is ready to bind.

My backing is flannel. The batting I prefer is Thermore, because it is very warm and does not tend to slide against my fabric. It will go to a destitute mother or a small child in out of home placement.

Fish Fun, waiting for the binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247257[/ATTACH]

center section pin basted on batting/backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247258[/ATTACH]

Trimming an already sewn strip
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247259[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-247251.jpe   attachment-247252.jpe   attachment-247253.jpe