View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 06:38 AM
BarbaraSue

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
since this is a silent auction to raise money i'd leave off the fact that its scraps of fabric leftover from other projects.

it might lead people to bid less thinking its leftovers from the real project.

try to make your label read in a way that people want to bid more money.
I agree. For those that don't know, made with scraps sounds like a leftover project and not the "real" thing. I'd use the words "made with a variety of quilt quality fabrics". To a quilter they would know scraps; the others just think you used many fabrics.
For some reason the word "scraps" has taken on a negative connotation for some, even other sewers/quilters. Not everyone likes scrappy looking quilts. I think their ingenuity and colorfulness is beautiful.
I think the less you can get by with for your label the better. I had special labels made with my name on them for my special projects. I was working out of my home doing wedding dresses. One day I received a call from a dry cleaners about a dress I had made. I had no clue what this person was talking about (I had supposedly put the zipper in upside down- then how could they try it on?). Anyway the gal at the cleaners kept calling me back and demanding that I come to them and fix this before the bridesmaid came. I said that I was no longer responsible as the owner had accepted the dress and paid for it when she left me. It is up to the owner now and not the maker. I had to finally insist that the lady stop, and I asked if she would call JC Penney to come to her cleaners to fix a dress instead of calling the person who brought it in. She said "that's different". Really? How? I decided that too much information can give others a chance to pass the buck by to the label and not to themselves where it should be. Just be fore warned!